Thanksgiving Weekend has always been a big time for live music and this coming weekend is no exception. Out in Atlanta local favorites The Grapes and Col. Bruce Hampton return to the Variety Playhouse on Friday night, while The Breakfast bring the jams to Boston. In Chicago, The Hue continue to break in stellar new bassist Kyle Meyers at the Elbo Room on Friday.
Michael Franti and Spearhead spend their turkey weekend in Denver for a couple of shows at the Fillmore and New York City turns into Coverville central with concerts by Strange Design (Phish), Dark Star Orchestra (Grateful Dead) and Mr. Brownstone (Guns N’ Roses). Meanwhile, The Duo heads out to San Francisco for a show on Friday and a special Bustle In Your Hedgerow gig on Saturday at The Independent.
Let’s take a look at three best bets from some of the major markets…
- The Last Waltz Ensemble @ Smith’s Olde Bar [Friday]
- The Grapes, Col. Bruce @ Variety Playhouse [Friday]
- BoomBox @ Smith’s Olde Bar [Saturday]
- Fishbone @ Harper’s Ferry [Friday]
- The Breakfast @ Middle East [Friday]
- Japhy Ryder @ Middle East [Saturday]
- The Hue @ Elbo Room [Friday]
- Groovatron @ Kinetic Playground [Friday]
- Cornmeal/Rev Payton’s Big Band @ The Vic [Sat.]
- Michael Franti and Spearhead @ The Fillmore [Fri., Sat.]
- Yeasayer @ Bluebird Theater [Saturday]
- Matisyahu @ Ogden Theater [Saturday]
- Strange Design @ Sullivan Hall [Fri, Sat]
- Dark Star Orchestra @ Nokia [Fri, Sat]
- Mr. Brownstone @ Irving Plaza [Friday]
- New Riders @ GAMH [Friday]
- The Duo @ The Independent [Friday]
- Bustle In Your Hedgerow @ The Independent [Sat.]
Have a fantastic Turkey Day everybody! Enjoy the long weekend.