Over the last couple of years, Knitting Factory founder Michael Dorf has put together a string of highly successful tribute concerts honoring Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John and other rock legends. The next act that has been lined to receive the same treatment will be Athens’ alt.rock legends R.E.M. The concert is set to take place on March 11 at NYC’s Carnegie Hall with the likes of Patti Smith, Vic Chesnutt & Elf Power, Rachel Yamagata, Calexico, Guster, Kimya Dawson, Glenn Hansard of The Frames & Swell Season and Apples in Stereo confirmed to appear. 100% of the event’s net proceeds will benefit musical education programs for underprivileged children.
If you can’t make it to New York for what is sure to be a great night, than maybe you’ll be able to make it out to one of these tours…
- Department Of Eagles schedule a five-date January run (begins: 01/15)
- Singer/songwriter Brett Dennen lines up a lengthy cross-country tour (begins: 01/16)
- Country legend Loretta Lynn scatters dates throughout 2009 (begins: 01/16)
- Fountains Of Wayne put together a string of ’09 dates (begins: 01/14)
- Irish folk-rockers The Pogues return to the states in March (begins: 03/09)
- African vocal group Ladysmith Black Mambazo map out long US run (begins: 01/24)
Finally, two months after the organizers behind ATP New York revealed that they’d be returning to Kutcher’s Country Club in mid-September of 2009 comes the news of some early artist confirmations. The three day fest once again provides an eclectic lineup featuring comedy and music, as well as its trademark full album sets. Among those that have already signed on include Animal Collective, Panda Bear, David Cross along with Suicide performing their first album and Dirty Three performing Ocean Songs.