In our continuing effort to keep you up to date on the summer festival season, we bring you news about The Roots Picnic. The one-day fest, hosted by The Roots, will take place on June 4 and once again returns to Festival Pier at Penn’s Landing in the band’s hometown of Philadelphia, PA.
Now in its fourth year, the event will feature an eclectic lineup that features Wiz Khalifa, Aerial Pink’s Haunted Graffiti, Man Man, Little Dragon and more. Ever the gracious hosts, The Roots will also pull double duty that day as the backing band for Nas as well as Esperanza Spalding.
If you can’t make it to Philly for this all-day fest, then maybe you’ll be able to hit one of these recently announced tours…
- Motley Crue, Posion & New York Dolls team up for a summer run
- Smart-rockers Okkervil River line up a cross-country tour
- Def Leppard & Heart to hit amphitheaters together starting in June
- Portugal. The Man is currently out on Portugal. The Tour
- TV on the Radio put together a 12-date NA spring jaunt
- Matt & Kim and The Thermals to hit a town near you
Finally, as we’ve mentioned, The Monkees celebrate its 45th anniversary this year. As a way of marking the milestone, three of the band’s principal members – Davy Jones, Peter Tork and Micky Dolenz – have announced that they will be hitting the road for the first time in a decade. The tour is promising a full multi-media experience, with the band performing “all of their ‘mega-hits’ and, for the first time ever onstage, songs rarely heard selections from their cult classic movie, Head.” While Mike Nesmith will unfortunately be sitting this one out, our inner 10-year-old self is very excited about this tour.