After a fantastic start to the run last night, Phish returned to Bader Field in Atlantic City this evening for the second of three shows at the decommissioned airport.
The first set opened with Mike’s Groove song suite, the first time the triumvirate opened a show since June 17, 2011. From there a dance party broke out with funky versions of Gumbo, Halley’s Comet, My Friend My Friend and Wolfman’s Brother. Wolfman’s was the highlight of the set as the band worked over a Mike-initiated groove for the duration. Next, Trey Anastasio started The Horse but when he finished with the tune that normally leads into Silent In The Morning, he shared a thought with the crowd by mentioning how he thought My Friend My Friend had the best ending of any tune in their repertoire. Trey then polled the rest of the band on what song endings were their favorite which led into Page mentioning Lawnboy. Naturally, Lawn Boy followed and led into another high-energy, stretched-out Possum. Catalog staples Possum, Punch You In The Eye, Ocelot and Suzy Greenberg brought the set to a close.
A cover of Crosseyed & Painless kicked off the second set and featured an out-of-the-box jam punctuated by Trey throwing in the riff that signals the beginning of Slave To The Traffic Light. Instead of abruptly moving into Slave, the band played more a Slave-tinged jam before finally settling in on the tune. Light came next and the jam quickly reached impressive heights culminating in a mashup of the end of the tune as well as Crosseyed – a memorable moment to say the least. The rest of the set was more straight forward, with the Sand jam sticking out as a highlight.
Soundcheck: Halfway to the Moon > Jam (possible Spill the Wine jam) [Unconfirmed and Possibly Incomplete]
Set 1: Mike’s Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Gumbo, Halley’s Comet > My Friend, My Friend, Wolfman’s Brother, The Horse, Lawn Boy, Possum > Punch You In the Eye > Ocelot, Suzy Greenberg
Set 2: Crosseyed and Painless > Slave to the Traffic Light > Light -> Manteca -> Light > Theme From the Bottom > Golgi Apparatus > Sand > Backwards Down the Number Line > Run Like an Antelope
Encore: Good Times Bad Times
 Nellie Kane tease.
 Lawn Boy and Stash teases.
 Crosseyed quotes.
 Manteca tease; Crosseyed quotes.
Notes: Weekapaug contained a Nellie Kane tease from Trey. The Horse was aborted. Possum contained Lawn Boy and Stash teases. Light contained a Manteca tease from Page and Crosseyed and Painless quotes. Sand also contained Crosseyed and Painless quotes.
Here’s The Skinny from Night Two of Phish in AC…
- Venue Capacity / Attendance / Type: 35,000 / 33,000 (Estimate) / Large Outdoor Field
- Previous Shows at Venue: 1 – 06/15/2012
- Number Of Songs / Length – First Set: 13 / 7:57PM – 9:27PM (90 Minutes)
- Number Of Songs / Length – Second Set & Encore: 11 / 10:08PM – 11:32PM (84 Minutes)
- Total Number of Songs / Covers / Originals: 24 / 3 / 21
- Biggest Bustout: Manteca – 41 Shows (LTP – 05/28/2011)
- Debuts: N/A
- Weather: 72 degrees and Sunny at Showtime
- Wardrobe: Mike – Sgt. Peppers-Esque Top and Jeans / Trey – Plaid Checkered Shirt and Jeans / Page – Short-Sleeve Navy Button-Down and Jeans / Fish – Dress
- Average Song Gap: 6.38
- The Spread: Misc. – 9, Junta – 1, Lawn Boy – 2, Rift – 2, Hoist – 1, Billy Breathes – 1, Farmhouse – 1, Joy – 4, Covers – 3
- Longest LivePhish Track / Shortest LivePhish Track: Light (14:09) / I Am Hydrogen (2:58)
- Audio: Live Phish