Touring as an up-and-coming band is as much about the highs as it is the lows, and many music fans don’t realize how much it takes for that band they love to make it to the stage. In Tales From The Golden Road we let musicians and bands share their personal stories of life on the road, from the mundane to the epic. This month we are excited to team up with “noir rock” duo The Peach Kings as they traverse their way across the country. The sexy duo of Paige Wood and Steven Dies translate their own love life in a sultry rock and roll soundtrack that has earned them numerous accolades in the last few years. Recently, The Peach Kings wrapped a string of dates opening for Cyndi Lauper, and for the month of July and August they are headlining their own Night Sweat Tour. Glide Magazine will be featuring dispatches from that tour for the next month…
Wow people, tour life is simultaneously the fastest and slowest way to live. So much has happened within our first week on the road of our Night Sweat Tour, it’s hard to remember where one day ends and the next day begins. Thankfully we have some photographic evidence to jog our brains, and even with pictures, it’s hard to believe how much gets crammed into each day and night. Still, time is flying.
Our first show in Phoenix was the epitome of Night Sweat; after our show, it was 100 degrees outside…at 11pm. Oh yeah, and our Airbnb had people sleeping in it. We literally stood in the bedroom and flicked the light on to find two half naked people passed out. They didn’t wake up, so we split and got a cheap motel down the road. Day one, pretty ridiculous. Off to a great start!
It would take pages to recount our first week in daily detail so we will summarize a few key moments that stand out (with photo evidence).
- Getting caffeinated in Vegas before our Beauty Bar gig.
- Freshening up in the Rickshaw green room in San Francisco (one of our favorite places to be.)
- Wandering the streets of the Sunset in SF between gigs
- A few morning shows, radio shows, and filmed performances getting up at the crack of dawn to deliver some bleary eyed rock for the early birds.
- A big rig trailer fully engulfed in flame on the side of the highway.
- Kickin it in front of the bike shop/venue/beer garden in Portland, OR with the best mural of the best montage from the best NES game ever, Punch Out.
- On one leg after breakfast at No Worries Cafe in Utah.
- And in every town, meeting the wonderful fans who came out to support us. That is always the pep we need to keep going.
- Bonus: Mermaid painting with big fake jugs.
Stay tuned for more adventures from the Night Sweat Tour, we will try to remember what actually happens!
The Peach Kings are on tour for the rest of the summer. Check out dates below:
7.22 – The Demo – St. Louis, MO
7.23 – Live Wire – Chicago, IL
7.25 – Pike Room @ the Crofoot – Pontiac, MI
7.26 – Beachland Ballroom – Cleveland, OH
7.27 – Diesel Club Lounge – Pittsburgh, PA
7.28 – Lizard Lounge – Cambridge, MA
7.29 – Café Nine – New Haven, CT
7.30 – Knitting Factory – Brooklyn, NY
8.01 – IOTA Club & Café – Arlington, VA
8.02 – World Café Live (Upstairs) – Philly, PA
8.04 – The Evening Muse – Charlotte, NC
8.06 – Backbooth – Orlando, FL
8.07 – Local 662 – St. Petersburg, FL
8.10 – Jack Rabbits – Jacksonville, FL
8.12 – Smith’s Olde Bar – Atlanta, GA
8.13 – The Nick – Birmingham, AL
8.15 – The Country – Nashville, TN
8.18 – White Oak Music Hall – Houston, TX
8.19 – Lola’s Saloon – Fort Worth, TX
8.20 – Spider House Ballroom – Austin, TX
8.21 – Limelight – San Antonio, TX