Three schoolteachers from Manhattan’s Urban Assembly Media high school were busted for smoking pot outside the Beacon Theater before the Allman Brothers show on Friday night. The trio lucked out and received only desk appearance tickets, but things descended quickly for the shapers of young minds when the New York Post picked up the story and ran the names and photos of the three teachers. New York’s number-two tabloid unsurprisingly had a field day with the story, using every trite pot pun in their comprehensive manual of shlock.
If you’ve ever been out on the crowded street in front of the Beacon, you’d realize lighting up out front is one of the dumbest things you can possibly do. While the inside of the venue is a lawless environment, the outside of the venue is police domain. The three teachers have already been re-assigned, pending what should be an interesting department hearing. Whose got their miracle?
- EMI says goodbye to anti-copying software on iTunes
- De La Soul, Stephen Malkmus, and the New Pornographers have been added to the Pitchfork festival
- Check out this sick video from La Blogotheque of The Arcade Fire backstage, performing in an elevator and then in the crowd at a show
- IGN lists the top 25 Classic Rock albums
- It’s not often a seedy-looking white guy rocks the Apollo
- You thought Big Cypress was long? Try a 184-hour concert
- Particle hits the road after a tough 2006
- It seems some content of the Grateful Dead’s vault are missing
- R.E.M. to debut new material for a Dublin crowd
- The Zappa Estate is releasing a 1980 FZ show from Buffalo as part of the Vaulternative series
- Chuck Klosterman is blogging the Final Four for ESPN
- Yonder Mountain String Band will be streaming an upcoming show from Portland, Oregon
- SCI’s Winter Carnival in Vail yielded enough arrests to attract the media
- Friend of HT, Neddy, runs down the NYC shows of the week
- Shaw/Blades new album is surprisingly good, especially the cover of Steely Dan’s Dirty Work
- Rolling Stone chronicles the best rock rumors ever
- Our good friend NewmRadio caught the Dirty Projectors in Brooklyn on Friday and can’t stop raving about ’em — check out his video
I caught Railroad Earth this weekend and was rewarded with an incredible performance — a review follows shortly. What kept y’all busy this weekend?