Soul music legends including Issac Hayes, Booker T and the MGs and Mavis Staples are celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Stax record label tonight in Memphis. We’re not sure why, but tickets are still available for the show, which takes place at the legendary Orpheum Theater. Proceeds from the show will benefit the Stax Museum of American Soul Music, the world’s only soul music museum, located at the site of the old Stax headquarters on Memphis’ historic McLemore Avenue.
Otherwise, you can always count on the ‘net to provide many diversions:
- Zappa Plays Zappa will focus on material from Overnite Sensation and Apostrophe on their upcoming tour
- The Glastonbury Festival has gotten off to a rainy start
- The record companies are trying some new techniques
- Take the Discontinued Ben and Jerry’s Flavor or Band I Found On MySpace quiz
- Large Hearted Boy compiled Bonnaroo audio and video downloads
- Imeem announces a new partnership with a few of the majors
- Yoko Ono, Olivia Harrison, Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney are appearing together on Larry King Live — Cleveland, you’re on!
- New Order is dunzo
- Girl Talk and Dan Deacon are touring together this fall
- Heaven and Hell added a bunch of September dates to their schedule
- Downtown Records signed Spank Rock to a four-album deal
- Jesse Jarnow kicks down the 22nd edition of his Frow Show podcast
- Rock Band, a video game from the makers of Guitar Hero, will feature a Stratocaster-shaped controller
- Umphrey’s McGee won over a new fan on their California trip
Have a great weekend, and join me in a round of singing Happy Birthday to HT’s fearless leader Ace Cowboy!