While most NYC-area music fans were getting their Radiohead on at the All Points West Festival Saturday night, some of them went to the season finale of the Celebrate Brooklyn concert series: A Tribute to Bill Withers. Intelligent Rectum reports on the highly anticipated tribute, which started out well enough but died a painfully slow death during a disastrous second set.
As to be expected MMJ’s Jim James provided the two highlights of the evening with his version of Ain’t No Sunshine and his vocals during the Lean On Me finale.
Let’s take a look at what else happened this weekend…
- Trey Anastasio joined Jack Johnson for Mudfootball late last night
- Billy Joel destroys a Kiwi critic who took aim at his sappy repertoire
- Wolfgang’s Vault kicks down a phenomenal Allman Brothers’ show
- Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder sings, broods and jams out as a solo artist
- Aquarium Drunkard interviews James Felice of the Felice Brothers
- Onion’d: Soundgarden inadvertently reunites at Cinnabon in Seattle
Here’s a few stories from around the country:
- San Francisco: 12 Galaxies to close its doors on August 28
- Baltimore: USA Today gives us the lowdown on the Virgin Fest
- Jacksonville: Wilco returns to Florida for the first time since ’06
- Colorado: iClips will webcast this weekend’s Yarmony Grass fest