826NYC is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6-18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. This is clearly an organization that we can get behind. The nonprofit will once again be holding their Revenge Of The Book Eaters benefit concert, this year at Town Hall on October 7th. The event will be headlined by Paul Simon, who will be joined by musical acts the Department Of Eagles (featuring members of Grizzly Bear) and Thao Nguyen & Zach Rogue, along with authors Ira Glass, Jonathan Franzen and Dave Eggers and comedian John Oliver. Tickets for this event are on-sale now.
If you can’t make it to New York for this great benefit, maybe you’ll be able to catch one of these recently announced tours…
- Cactus puts together a four date December run (begins: 12/27)
- New and old school psychedelic rockers Roky Erickson and The Black Angels team up (begins: 10/4)
- Crescent City funksters Galactic line up a cross-country jaunt (begins:10/08)
- Rock collective Broken Social Scene continue to tour through the fall (begins: 10/08)
- Stellastarr*’s brief tour includes a five night residency at Piano’s (begins: 10/05)
- Smashing Pumpkins 20th anniversary tour includes multiple nights in most cities (begins: 10/26)
Finally, The Dead and The Allmans aren’t the only rock acts out there that have been throwing their support towards Barack Obama. In what’s sure to be a reoccurring trend in the weeks leading up to the election, a couple more rallies have been announced in support of the Junior Senator from Illinois. First up, Andrew Bird, Eugene Mirman, The Fiery Furnances and more will join forces for a night of music and comedy at the Music Hall Of Williamsburgh on October 7. Tickets go on-sale tomorrow for $40 a piece with all proceeds going directly to the Obama campaign.
Then, on October 16, the Brooklyn via Ohio brooding indie-rockers The National will team up with The Breeders for the free Vote Early, Rock Late rally that is set to take place at Cincinnati’s Fountain Square starting at 5 PM.