Looks like the art of the cover song may not just be a jamband thing anymore. Come this Valentine’s Day, lo-fi indie rockers Times New Viking will honor the Velvet Underground with a special tribute show to the influential band. The show will serve as the closing party for the Wexner Center For The Arts’ Andy Warhol exhibition – Andy Warhol: Other Voices, Other Rooms in the band’s hometown of Columbus, OH.
If you’re like me and live no where near Columbus than maybe you’ll be able to make it one of these recently announced tours…
- Ben Kweller brings his twangy new sound to a town near you (begins: 02/16)
- Canadian rockers Sam Roberts Band hits the road (begins: 02/18)
- Sepia voiced singer/songwriter M. Ward schedules dates here and abroad (begins: 02/18)
- Willie Nelson teams up with Asleep At The Wheel for a February run (begin: 02/11)
- Blur plans to reunite with a show in London’s Hyde Park (on: 07/03)
- Lil Wayne headlines the I Am Music tour with T-Pain, Gym Class Heroes and others (begins: 12/18)
Finally, it looks like 2009 is shaping up to be a big year for side projects as a slew of artists will be touring on their own without their respective full time bands. Among those set to hit the road next year in support of new releases will be A.C. Newman of the New Pornographers fame – who’s new album Get Guilty hits stores in February, Franz Nicolay the mustachioed keyboard player from The Hold Steady – who’s debut album Major General drops on January 13, and The Strokes bassist Nikolai Fraiture with his band Nickel Eye – whose debut Time of the Assassins comes out on January 27.