Vinyl Lives: LUNA music Is Indianapolis’ Hub For Like-minded Music Lovers

ShareShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail this to someoneShare on StumbleUpon

In Vinyl Lives we spotlight and profile record stores around the country who offer music lovers an experience that goes beyond an iTunes purchase or a Spotify playlist. Vinyl has found a new resurgence and the good folks behind independent record stores are on the front line, directly responsible for curating a unique collection of music. Here at Glide Magazine we feel that record stores are a valuable part of the community and to music as a whole, and are therefore worth celebrating.

For over two decades the city of Indianapolis has been lucky enough to be home to one of this country’s most unique record stores. Situated comfortably in a brick two-story building on N College Ave., LUNA music has long been established as the go-to spot for the die-hard and fair weather music fans of Indianapolis. Despite its long run, this little shop hasn’t been immune to the fall of the record industry and indie retailers. Once there were three locations and now there is only one in the Meridian Kessler neighborhood, but that one location is a beacon in a city (and state) not always associated with eclectic culture or a strong music scene. Like any good record store, LUNA music also plays a vital role in the local music community, serving as a central source of information for shows and ticket giveaways, hosting in-store performances, and keeping people up to date on plenty of other music-related happenings around Indy. They also carry a selection of super sweet T-shirts and hoodies. Recently LUNA music owner Todd Robinson took a few minutes to fill us in on the history of the store and talk about what kind of music you can find there these days!

Can you give us a short history of LUNA music and tell us what kind of music you specialize in and how much of your stock is new vs. used?

LUNA music has been in business since 1994—almost 22 years! We started as (and still are) a hub for like-minded individuals, who are looking to pick up their favorite album and, hopefully—be turned on to their new favorite. Whilst our product mix has changed—what we carry has not; we’ve always stocked LPs, CDs, Cassettes—and supplemented our collection with books, audio accessories, and in-house LUNA shirts—that have been designed by many world-renowned visual artists. New stock comprises 55% of our store selection and used takes the other 45%. At any given time, we have over 10,000 used LPs to peruse!

13735013_10153940095528772_6121327754998241585_o

What are some of your top sellers of the past few weeks?

Ben Watt – Fever Dream

Avalanches – Wildflower

Radiohead –  A Moon Shaped Pool

Red Hot Chili Peppers – The Getaway

Mark Kozelek – Live In Copenhagen (an in-house LUNA release)

Anticipated releases coming up:

New releases stuff from…

-HOOPS

-Teebs

-Clams Casino

-Blood Orange

-Wild Beasts

-Angel Olsen

You’d be surprised but we sell a lot of…

SOUNDTRACKS ON VINYL! the full-range!

Employee picks:

LUNA music has a whole page on their website dedicated to the current top records of their employees, and you can check it out HERE.  

Cover drawing: Nat Russell

LUNA music is located at 5202 North College Ave in Indianapolis, IN 46220 

Check them out at the following links:

Check out other editions of Vinyl Lives:

Sweat Records (Miami, FL)

Shed House Records

Guestroom Records (Norman/Oklahoma City, OK & Louisville, KY)

Streetlight Records (San Jose/Santa Cruz, CA)

Scotti’s Record Shop (Summit, NJ)

Breakaway Records (Austin, TX)

Euclid Records (St. Louis & New Orleans)

Stinkweeds (Phoenix, AZ)

Pure Pop Records (Burlington, VT)

Generation Records (New York, NY)

Wall of Sound (Seattle, WA)

Strictly Discs (Madison, WI)

Is there a record store you think we should profile? Feel free to shoot your suggestions to Neil Ferguson on Twitter: @musicjournzo!

ShareShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail this to someoneShare on StumbleUpon

Related Posts

Leave A Response

Example Skins

dark_red dark_navi dark_brown light_red light_navi light_brown

Primary Color

Link Color

Background Color

Background Patterns

pattern-1 pattern-2 pattern-3 pattern-4 pattern-5 pattern-6

Main text color