Every now and again we like to go spelunking through the extensive streamable archives on the SugarMegs server and recommend some hidden gems. And since we usually can’t get passed the first half of the alphabet — there’s too much! — we thought this time we’d start from the bottom and work our way north. Hopefully one of these five handpicked shows itches you right where you scratch:
- Ween — Allentown Homecoming — 4/26/07 [.asx]
- Van Halen — Live in Tokyo — 6/17/78 [.asx]
- Uncle Tupelo — WFMU radio broadcast — 7/29/90 [.asx]
- Tower of Power — Fillmore West — 4/7/71 [.asx]
- Sting — RFK Stadium — 6/25/93 (opening for the Dead) [.asx]
All five of these are fantastic shows, but the last two stand out as especially worthy of your time today. The Tower of Power show will surprise you and funk you up good, and the Sting show shows off covers like Penny Lane and Purple Haze, not to mention a seriously kickass When the World is Running Down and a great sit-in from Jerry Garcia on Walking on the Moon. Get on it, folks.