Happy 73rd Birthday Jeff Lynne – (Watch “Turned to Stone” Live 1977)

73 years ago today (12/30/47), pop visionary/composer/guitarist/singer/arranger Jeff Lynne was born. Lynne at the time had the unique ambition to combine modern rock and pop songs with classical overtones and formed Electric Light Orchestra (ELO).  As a result ELO became one of the biggest bands in the world with multiple hits including “Evil Woman,” Living Thing,” “Turned to Stone,” “Sweet Talkin’ Woman” and “Strange Magic.”  When Lynne dissolved ELO in 1986, he joined up with supergroup The Traveling Wilburys, co-starring Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan and George Harrison. In 2015, Lynne reformed ELO under the moniker of Jeff Lynne’s ELO and released Alone in the Universe and in 2019 followed that up with ELO’s 14th album From Out of Nowhere. Check out ELO performing “Turned to Stone” live from 1977.

Related Content

One Response

  1. Unfortunately, as Jeff Lynne’s two most recent “ELO” albums (“Zoom” & Alone in The Universe”) show, he has no desire to return to the heavily produced, orchestrated, synthesized 1970’s ELO sound; the sound that produced the hits. Or maybe he can’t without the musicians that he worked with back then, notably orchestrator Louis Clark, keyboardist Richard Tandy, drummer Bev Bevan and high harmony singer (the late) Kelly Groucutt. These days, Lynne operates in the studio as a one man band. Yes, Jeff Lynne is 90% of the ELO sound, but the remaining 10% is missing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Recent Posts

New to Glide

Keep up-to-date with Glide

Twitter